I’ve been on a quest to find the best vegan cream cheese. None of the pre-packaged ones were doing it for me. I missed the tang. The savory and saltiness. And the creamy texture. The ones I bought were either rock-solid and didn’t spread or they were too liquidy.
I tried quite a few recipes online and I combined some of my favorites to make this one. The unsweetened yogurt is the key. I use this one:
The miso gives it depth and a bit of umami, but if you don’t have it, it’ll be ok without it. Just bump up the salt and/or lemon juice a bit.
Admittedly, this isn’t *exactly* like real cream cheese, but it’s so full of flavor that you’ll love it anyway. I mean, my toddler would eat it with a spoon if I let him, so that’s saying something!
Vegan Chive & Onion Cream Cheese
- Food processor
- 1½ cup Raw, unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup 1 tablespoon Non-dairy, unsweetened, plain yogurt I like So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk yogurt alternative
- 2¾ tablespoon Lemon juice
- Scant 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon White miso paste
- Scant ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- 2-3 tablespoon Fresh chives, chopped Dried could work too, but I prefer fresh
- Add cashews to boiling water and boil until soft
- Rinse cashews and let cool. Once cool, add to food processor with yogurt, lemon juice, miso, and salt. Blend on high until smooth, scraping down sides as needed (see notes).
- Add chopped chives and onion powder.
- Put in refrigerator for at least an hour to let the flavors meld and texture thicken.
- As long as cashews are softened, texture will smooth as you blend. It may take fives minutes, just stick with it.
- Good in refrigerator for up to a week.